Skip to main content


Well, it is Halloween.

I went to a party at Spruce St. on Friday and ended up winning a costume contest that I didn’t realize they were having. The prize was a bag of chips from the kitchen. I left it there because I didn’t really need any more chips.

With a mustache like the one I have going on I was short on ideas for costumes. Of course there is always the Dali fall back, which seemed rather esoteric to many and my wide-eyed stare did nothing to try and explain the outfit. I was really surprised that the contacts that I hadn’t worn since my visit to Billings this past summer were still any good. They at least lasted the night until I caught the last drunk bus of the night back to my housing complex. And the other amazing thing was that as the paper flowers from my mustache fell multiple times in the mosh pit (dancing area? The influence of the hippie culture in Missoula is quite apparent when looking at the dancing at music shows) but I still somehow time and time again was able to find them and put them in my shirt pocket until I stopped dancing, where I would put them back on.

I think I need a change of pace and scenery. At least this is keeping me focused on my coursework. Even if my desire to go out into town seems to have diminished quite rapidly. Meh. I am really hoping to make it back to Seattle for Thanksgiving which will hopefully help me feel more attached to reality and less stuck in my own head as I blend into the wallpaperless walls around here. It might help here if I could find someone to be a romantic interest, but so far I have yet to find anyone with which I can relate to on multiple levels, or someone who isn’t already taken or in some kind of ‘interesting’ situation that I would really just rather not bother with.

I am almost done with my application to study abroad. All that is left is to touch up the essays (translation included) and start picking out the courses that are listed at the moment, but will surely change once the time to go over to France actually draws nearer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.
Sautéd tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Served with bread from the market. Something too tasty to finish as dinner, but to instead save some for breakfast tomorrow morning. Some avocado should be the sole ingredient to change this from a dinner snack to breakfast snack. Green oil lamp light. And the first doctor confusedly muttering in black and white.