Skip to main content



My works in progress. I find myself working on them more than I should with my work load for university, but that just seems to be the way that life works. When you need to be doing something your desires transfix on things that are not necessary.

I have come to points of frustration with both of them lately, but thankfully the frustration is just because of little questions as to color and style and not something that would be detrimental to the pieces. My usual way around these road blocks would be to start inking in what I have already colored, but at this point I am trying my best to not jump the gun and get as much as possible painted before the inking process. In part because I would like to see just how well my painting is becoming before I cheat by adding the detail with ink.

What is really holding me back on the city painting is that I would like my cliché of having a character existing within the scene, but I am not sure what they should be doing. I have gone down the list of either the character being male or female and if they should be sitting, standing, walking, drinking, smoking, lighting a fag, carrying shopping bags, playing accordion, or just posing/resting with an instrument. Meh.

I have already had a request for a print of the painting of the woman with flowers in her hair. It is not my usual style with there being no architecture, but I still feel as though it fits because it is based on the the girl that I saw at the masquerade ball in Seattle back in February and so it is just showing one of the characters from this city that I continually portray. An interesting thing to note that is if I am able to have a show my my art that this painting of the woman with flowers in her hair would fit perfectly in the picture frame that I keep my dangly earrings. I was hearing that the list to show at the Butterfly is stretching back deep into next year though… so that might not be happening. Perhaps this summer in Billings when I get stuck there? It would be nice to have a show before I go abroad because I probably won’t be taking my art with me as it would just be too much of a hassle and too easy for it to be lost or damaged.

One thing that I would like to start doing with my paintings is to start writing random things on the back. Comments, notes to people, observations of life, what was going through my mind as I made the piece, et cetera. I have done this before with a few pieces and I just think that it would be a nice thing to compliment the piece and be one of those things that since the back gets covered up that would create an air of mystery over what is there because I know that I will forget what I write and I know that I enjoy having my life made up of little bizarre secrets so I probably won’t tell many people at all, if anyone (sans the people who read this, although then again isn’t this another writing on the back that if people look for they will find? I know I almost never tell anyone about this site of mine and just leave it for people to find if they are interested).

Blah blah blah. I should probably go to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.