Skip to main content

First Last Friday 60s night.

The bar I have come to find as being my favorite in this town I was told has a 60s night every last Friday of the month.  I put on my black skinny tie. I look at my outfit in my reflection on the metro but still feel more 30s than 60s.
The last Friday fell into the time frame of spring break and so the bar was dead in comparison to how I usually see it.
Turn tables in the basement turning little obscure 45s.
Pretty people in vintage clothing.
Dancing in the basement, I keep trying to get out of the way for others meeting their friends and end up dancing next to the turn tables. Front row, center.
A question in French about my bondage belt. I have no idea what the specifics of the question are and mutter some things. Agree. And start dancing again.
The metro ends at 00.30. I look at my watch and decide 'fuck it.' The bar starts closing at 00.40.
We hang out in the street. A huge crowd. Slowly dispersing.
"After party chez moi!"
We walk up a wooden staircase. Perhaps medieval. A tiny apartment. No proper lighting. Some ugly modern desk lamp probably from IKEA is constantly being turned on and off.
The music begins with continuing the theme of 60s music, then blends into a huge slew of disco, then hip hop, and ends with Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Two tabs for youtube. Play one, sync up the next song. I never realized that the French had such an interest in disco music. Although what is modern pop music now a days but overproduced with roots in disco, but never the name attached.
The one girl I knew before this night has one of the drunk French boys walk from across the room like a zombie with hands forward and grope her breasts. She slaps him. Something not quite like a fight breaks out. The French boys try to tell her this is normal in France. The French girls deny this.
Party ends. We migrate to another. I stand in the hallway entrance and have a conversation on the stereotypes on if girls from the States are sluts. It seems that this stereotype applies to most countries. I try to explain that things are more complicated than stereotypes. Somehow California and New York are the bases for how to compare other places in the country. He asks if Seattle girls are attractive. I tell him they are covered in tattoos.
Better music at this party. Same set up with two tabs on youtube. Joy Division and the Smiths upon entering. One of the people puts on Hang Me Out to Dry by the Cold Wars Kids. 'Music from your country.' Free style dancing.
Switches to disco music again. I sit down not quite sure how to dance to this style. Feels like it needs understanding of steps. Not a background in expressive punk rock.
I sit and talk with a poet. Mother from Birmingham. Uk, not the States. "Style is an expression of who we are, all that makes up the complexities of who we are" - paraphrased. He bums a few cigarettes from me. I offer them for free, but he insists in giving me three euros.
5am. The metro starts back up.
We leave. The poet knocks on the window of the patisserie around the corner to buy a sandwich. He has a test in singing in 4 hours. The two girls remaining from the group I started the night with get pastries straight from the oven. I follow them and gets a pain au chocolat for €0,90.
The poet tells us he has a concert coming up in three weeks at the bar where this night began. He asks for my number. I write it out on the wrapper for the pain au chocolat. He says he will call to lets us know about his show and then briskly walks off into the night to his girlfriends. Surprise her in the morning after a party and tell her that he missed her.
Kennedy metro empty. As I walk up the escalator that has stopped it begins to move. Two steps after stepping off it it turns off again. The next one does this too, but keeps running after I step off it.
Crash in bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.