Skip to main content

Day trip to Saint-Brieuc.

 For a few weeks now I have been trying to plan going by Saint-Brieuc to see an art museum that has a free exhibition on the art of Henri Rivière going on right now.

I arrived at just about lunch time so I set out to find myself some lunch before going by the museum. From the financial shopping area I found myself making circle until I found myself in a more medieval section that had some restaurants. Although because of all the circling around I was a bit lost. Sadly not truly lost.

Three cheese baked potato with two salads and a glass of red wine.

At one point in my wandering I saw a sign that said to turn to go to a valley and as I was wandering and not wanting to take the same road to get back to where I came from I thought, 'why not?' The sidewalk turned to dirt path and I found myself deep in a valley with tall modern residence buildings peeking up from the trees on the top of the hill.
More paths up the valley to make it back to the city. I come across a place where some homeless people live under the road at the top. Decorations of discarded christmas ornaments.

The point of the exhibition is to address the influence of Japan upon the French art world in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Wood block prints of Bretagne in a Japanese style. I fell quite in love, but sadly they didn't allow any photos, even 'sans flash' because of something about they didn't have the rights to the pictures.
The works were beautiful. The ideas of Impressionism dealing with light and time and weather but done in printmaking and watercolor methods. There was one print of a woman in Bretagne running in a rain storm to get the animals under shelter that had such beautiful rain. Very light grey streaks blending into the setting but standing out in the sky. I would love to be able to figure out how to do rain like that in my art without the fear of it ruining the whole piece.
Sitting in a café that was crowded for lunch but now only a few people are left. Writing postcards in what looks like the interior of a ship.


I continue to wander. Finding new neighborhoods. Beautiful buildings. Those simple things that the French take for granted and I know I will dearly miss when I leave France.

Everything is so beautiful. Foggy and damp.

 Playing tourist with my camera in my hand and headphones in my ears. Music creating the soundtrack to my wandering. Songs with accordions.

I wander into another valley, or perhaps it is the same and I am just at another point. This time the path stays paved and I see an arrow sign for Emmaüs. A long walk to what feels like should be the countryside soon.
I come across a couple warehouses and I go inside. If I were to ever truly live in France I would adore being able to decorate where I live with beautiful furniture. The creation of a bohemian bordello.
I find a few skinny ties, a new decorative scarf, and a collection of old metal buttons. Trinkets.
 I continue the wandering. Through neighborhoods. Looking for the paths less taken. I come across a stairway weaving through the buildings on the side of the valley. Every landing is lightly graveled but a bed of grass has formed to hide that fact. It just keeps going on. Every time I make it up another level I see that it has another staircase up ahead.
I emerge at the top where some children play at a park with their parents watching on. I stop and look out over the valley that I just climbed out of.

Once again thinking that maybe I had become lost I continued to wander making a rash generalization that centre ville was in a random direction. As I cross a road I see a beautifully shaped tree and the end of the way. A decoration for a cemetery.
The shape perfectly complements the trees I saw earlier by Henri Rivière. Almost like a bonsai tree at some incredible size.

I ended this adventure at a wine bar I walk by and am lured in by the yellow lighting and oil lamps in the window. A lone woman sits outside smoking a cigarette and doing something on her phone.
Inside old men crowd around the bar and bullshit with glasses of wine in their hands. A dalmatian sits quietly in an alcove under the coffee machine. The ceiling is painted in trompe l'oeil and in the corner above the cigarettes for sale some kepis have been tacked to the ceiling somehow.
Old ladies in fur coats come in and all the old men and the bartenders give them little kisses on the cheeks.
I leave the bar to return to the trains station and figure out a way home. As I walk in to the train station the last train for Rennes until 5am pulls in and I quickly buy a ticket from the machine.
Last minute purchase defaults me to first class. The over stuffed chairs go from slouchingly relaxed to erect with the push of a button.
I pull out my tarot deck and play a couple of hands for myself. Both of the future cards have an element of escapism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.