Skip to main content

Spring time wandering in Rennes.

 I received an SMS about my cell phone being fixed so I decided to take a break from studying to go and pick it up.
Wander Rennes and see what the commencement of spring has done.
The leaves has started to return.
Flowers are budding.
I roll the sleeves up on my shirt and don't take a jacket.
The tie has felt too formal lately. I see a french man on the metro and think differently. His hair is long and shaggy and a mess. His tie is not too wide and not too thin. Dark blue with dots.
As I wandered the neighbor hood near by I realized I was near the old building that I saw months ago when Fulya and I rode bikes looking for Emmaus. I sadly didn't have my camera with me and I wanted to come back and take a picture, but I just hadn't gotten around to wandering this part of town since. I was thinking I wouldn't again before I left since Emmaus had moved away.
If I were to choose a neighborhood in Rennes in which to live I think I would choose not too far from here, At least if I was looking for a house. If it was an apartment; perhaps just east of the art museum.
After I took a few pictures of Le Villeneuve a man stopped me in the street to explain what it was.
A small neighborhood independent cinema from between the wars. It has since been closed for a long while and I think he said that the church behind it has since bought it. But since it is now owned by the church no one can do anything with it because the church is its own separate entity. At least that is what I think he was saying.
The small and independent have been replaced by the large and the corporate who choose all that we are to see.
Since I was south of the tracks I kept running into areas where I was not allowed to cross. It was interesting also coming across areas where I had already been but had yet to physically connect by my explorations.
All this just keeps making me think of how much I have loved my wanderings in France. The beauty of how a city can be set up. The beauty of how things are being used and repaired and falling apart.

 There are so many parts of this city that I would like to paint. To slowly observe all the small details that make it what it is. It is neat to see some abandoned store fronts but to as well see that only the store fronts in the building are abandoned. People still live in the apartments that are above.
I really think that just about all my frustrations with living in France right now could be solved with not living in the shitty university residence that I am in.
I think my room is trying to kill me.

The time in which the sun now sets seems to be increasing exponentially. Just a few weeks ago I think I could sit in a evening class and have it set as class started. Now I get out of class after two hours and it is just starting to set.
This has thrown off my grocery shopping and getting a quick meal if I don't make it to the grocery store in time schedule.
Its too early to stop and eat if the sun is still out.
If only I didn't need to be spending this weekend studying. I would be walking the streets with a camera in hand and a sketch book in my bag. People as well seem to be coming out more, so the sketching of interesting characters has increased. Since sketching seems to be a bit less obviously obtrusive to the subject.
I thought that some pizza for dinner would be a nice addition to the wandering. An exploring kind if day. I chose a pizza from the menu with scallops, mushrooms, prawns, and flambéed in whiskey. I thought it might be a pizza that Jessye would be willing to try.
Sadly I didn't get my camera out in time to capture the pizza on fire as they brought it to the table.
Some of the legs became so charred that they remained as their form but only char on the pizza. I removed them carefully with my knife and fork. They still retained their form of pincers. Or whatever it is called that prawns have.
Delicious.
As the waiter first set me up he left the place mat so that I would be seated with my back to the window. I didn't take his passive suggestion for placement. I positioned myself at the table so that I could look outside while seated.
I did a few sketches of the people I saw out the window. I tried to capture the way the French hold their cigarettes in their hands, but it just became a scribble or gestured sketches as they moved too much to accurately capture the form.
I thought that a nice way to end the adventure was to go by Parc du Thabor and see how the blooming plants they have were doing, but as I arrived I saw that the gate was closed, but the lighting on the cathedral looked nice.
The breeze was a bit too cold to continue with not having a jacket. Even with sleeves rolled down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.