Skip to main content

Down and Out in Seattle. - The Reserve at Seatac (part deux)

The Reserve at SeaTac job has been keeping me on the past few weeks.  I have lost Don, who just never showed up one day, and then gained and lost a Vaughn.  Now I'm working alone as a TLC laborer at this location.

The pool room exposed.
For a couple of days, my cleaning was paired with uncovering the pool and hot tub that had been sealed up since the building still lacked a roof.  Rainwater from last winter that was sealed beneath a layer of MDF turned into a black mold.  As it would eat away at sections of the MDF, creating large soft holes, another layer would be tacked on top of it to prevent anyone from falling in.  One of the carpenters told me that it is black mold, but not the deadly black mold.  I wish I had a respirator for this task, but a dust mask is better than nothing.  The other workers use their "not wearing a mask" as a means of stating their strength, or perhaps a sense of masculinity.  I still keep my dust mask on as a means of any barrier to keep mold spores out of my lungs.  The next day my dust mask smells strongly of mold and I exchange it for another.  Currently, I have two dust masks hiding in the gap between the webbing the shell of my helmet.  The "pool guy" called in to work on the exposed pool continually belittled my dust mask wearing.  His helmet is covered in images of Mexican tattoo pinup style ladies.

A few months back my father told me about his experiences of how helmet colors used to relate to professions; yellow was for day laborers, blue was electricians, etc.  All his helmets that I remember growing up were white.  White hat architects.  My helmet is dark blue.

The only other day laborer I have met with a yellow helmet was when I was working at a remodel of a Fred Myers in Bellevue.  He was an older man who told me of his past getting his Ph.D. in sociology from a research University somewhere in Massachusetts.  He was living off of social security and maintaining a precise record of how many hours he works to avoid working too much and decreasing how much money he would get from social security.  Don said that he worked that site when he first arrived and caught the Professor at lunch drinking vodka behind the building but was not given a return ticket because the Professor told the foreman that Don wasn't a good enough worker.

Sunrise at The Reserve at SeaTac as the light rail goes by.
The Angle Lake Station has finally opened, but I have yet to use it.  The week it opened I was house and cat sitting in Lake City and the comparison of two hours by transit to thirty minutes by car was hard to compete with.  I keep looking at the empty used car lot next to the Reserve at SeaTac and thinking about how it could be developed to serve the area in relation to the opening of the Angle Lake Station.  If it is built as mixed use and has the retail not face the International Boulevard but instead the quieter road behind and the station there could be more foot traffic from the station.  I overheard a conversation with the foreman and other Exxel employees working the job saying that the area between the Reserve at SeaTac and the used car lot is going to become a road and therefore the parking garage is going to have art put onto it to decorate along the road.  I'm not sure why they need this road put in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.