Skip to main content

Flânerie meditation.

The sprawl of Eastern Montana.

 When I was a teenager, I was introduced to the concept of mediation. I would attend weekly meditation meetings at a local Buddhist dharma center. This was in Eastern Montana in an old large home that had once belonged to a local furniture dealer when things like furniture were still something that shops would have made locally/regionally. Because of where this was located, the meditations were led by old former hippies from the 60s. They would start the meetings with a parable that, for some reason, would always have connections to hamburgers being a basis of society. For example, one parable was about a poor beggar begging for money, so he could eat a hamburger to stave off starvation. He ended up discovering that his favorite warm coat that his mother had given him had money sewn into the lining. His precious warm coat, upon becoming worn enough to tatter the fabric, provided him with the money to purchase a new coat and begin climbing out of poverty due to the generational wealth of his mother. After the parables were done, we were told to close our eyes and focus on some music, which was an irregular beat from a drum. They did this for about 15-20 minutes. I would sit with my eyes closed, watching the WinAmp like light show on my eyelids, as I let the intrusive thoughts of my subconscious get drowned out by the drum beat. I would also focus on imagining the circle of my breath as I inhaled through my nose, filled my lungs, and then exhaled though my mouth. As a disgruntled teenage punk kid living in a conservative town, this really helped calm me and let me sort through the thoughts in my subconscious. Perhaps, it also paired well with my teenage development of my hormones finally leveling out, but it was a great life skill to learn. When anxiety and stress would become almost overwhelming, I could focus for a bit on counting my breaths to bring order to my thoughts.

Seattle of 2008.
 Another method I would use for calming myself down was to go on walks. When I moved to Seattle after high school, I struggled with meeting people or figuring out the city's cultural options for my underage age group, and would take myself on long walks around the city to explore. Walking is still honest. As a punk kid, working two minimum wage jobs, and taking night classes, walking around was the most affordable thing for me to do. I'd pop on my headphones, carry around a camera and a sketchbook, taking photos along the way of things that interested me and doodling elements of the city that I found to be interesting. For example, a glass pineapple as an exterior wall sconce. At one point, I found a black canvas gas mask bag at a military surplus shop that fit around my camera bag. With this I was able to disguise that I was carrying around a camera with me and could also fit my sketchbook, pens/pencils, and a book to read.

Reflective windows of Paris.
 Flash forward another 5 years and I was living in France for a year of studying abroad. Still walking everywhere, I was exposed to the concept that what I loved to do had a French name : flânerie, and I was a flâneur. I was glad to learn that this French name was the same in English and included the accent mark. (Granted, I made the initial search with a British English dictionary, which was a bit like hedging my bets.) During this time abroad, I made a friend who was also studying abroad, but from Germany, and we would sit in cafés after class and discuss art and philosophy. One point that she brought up rang deep with my love of walking. It was that as people traverse around the city, they are frequently doing such with headphones in. This act of listening to music provides a soundtrack for one's travels, but what she was arguing was that it was imposing a soundtrack upon the city. The city didn't choose the songs that one listens to while walking around, and thus by walking around with headphones one is separating themselves from their surroundings. When I started walking around without headphones in, I encountered that irregular rhythm again, but this time it was the rhythm of the city and not a drum. It was the sound of my boots clicking on the pavement, snippets of conversations of people I passed, vehicles passing, birds in the trees, and construction equipment. Walking around the city became my meditation to once again clear my head of the din of thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy Coffee. [part 1]

Fulya was looking at my sketchbook the other day and remarked that she liked the random sketch that I had made of some girl that I saw walking along with a little plastic cup of coffee during the wind storm a few weeks past. As I still have some small pieces of very good watercolor paper [that I had sized to be used for some small frames I had collected but did not have anything to put in them yet], I thought that perhaps I could transfer a little sketch to a little piece of paper to play with techniques. Namely the layering of water colors. Something that I know I have been working on a lot, but practice makes perfect. I also wanted to see how using my new mechanical pencil filled with blue graphite would work in hiding my lines as I initially worked. I forgot to take a picture of the transition between not having the girl inked at all to inking her and starting the background. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out a setting in which to put her. At first I was th
French underworld tattoos at the turn of the century. The man sports a tattooed mustache intended to foil the prohibition of facial hair in the Foreign Legion. The World of Tattoo by Maarten Hesselt van Dinter. I can only dream of being anywhere near that combination of badass and crazy. Though at that point the Foreign Legion was probably still the best place for criminals to get their record cleaned so perhaps he is as well quite legitimately scary upon all of that. I find myself flipping back to this page time and time again to romanticize the French underground from around 1900. Give him an accordion, a beret, and some braces. Prostitutes who could easily kill you if you ever come up short and tattoo the names of their ‘actual’ lovers between their breasts, close to their heart. Tattoo ‘Je mother fucking t’aime’ in a tattoo cursive along my collar bones.

The adventure continues.

So, I haven't written much lately.. but from the doldrums of the end of semester I then entered a time period of a flânerie across France. A last hurrah. Jessye came to visit again and the tiny room was packed up all into a few suitcases, the largest being named Bertha, and Rennes was left behind, although not before having a picnic in Thabor for the last Saturday market... We got the essentials. Madeleines (where as I reached the front of the line the vendor greeted me with a question of, '6 madelines?') with a few more of that vendor's delicious delights, like those bite size rolls with jams and caramel and chocolate.. Then of course the impossible cow cheese that acted like goat cheese and was rolled in Provencal  herbs. And of course a baguette from the amazing bakery covered in tiles. A trip to Thabor with Jessye was never complete without a stop at the aviary. And some people watching. A mohawked punk rocker walks a little girl hand in hand through the park.